Tuesday, August 29, 2006

On top of the world

The Crater Lake Science and Learn Center opened Friday, and I’m thrilled with the new prospects and opportunities available there. A memorandum of understanding was signed by OIT, Southern Oregon University and Crater Lake National Park in establishing the new center.
OIT’s Dr. Larry Powers is coordinator of research at the center. He is currently working with Oregon State University scientists who are studying moss there, but looks forward to working with scholars from around the world. I would love to put my microbiology background into practice with some Crater Lake research, too.

Larry has always taken students into the park for research opportunities. Now we have a formal agreement and the benefits will be many, including those for our Sponsored and Pre-College Programs.

OIT faculty members Claude Kansaku and Jim Long will place a GPS system on The Old Man in the Lake, a floating log that travels around Crater Lake. It will monitor location, temperature and wind speed.

You might not know that I’ve been the chair of Crater Lake Trust over the past 18 months. I’m privileged to serve the National Park and know that this new center will increase OIT’s connection to its own region and research scientist around the globe.

Below, I’m posting some pictures from Friday’s Grand Opening. There were so many friends of OIT there. I can’t name them all, but Congressman Greg Walden, Commissioner Al Switzer, businessman Bill Thorndike and JELD-WEN Foundation Executive Director Bob Kingzett stand out in my mind. Actually, everyone there is a true friend of the university, including retiring SOU President Elisabeth Zinser and the new president Mary Cullinan.

Talk to you next week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martha Ann,

Since leaving OIT in 2006 I have continued to watch the growth through visits to the website. This recent cooperative effort with the park service and the new center for health professions are very exciting. Congratualtions to you and to all at OIT.

Steve Kitchen
Assoc VP, Capital Dev & Fac. Mgmt
Uniiversity of Baltimore

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very interested in the history of OIT and I would like to know if there are any documents on display in the library or elsewhere that might relate to the late 1940's and early 1950's. My father, George A. Harper was an instructor there in the 1950's and he was tragically killed in 1959. I am currently a teacher out of Orgeon, yet I was raised in Oregon. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might search for information about the Institute's history?
Thanks,
Susan Harper

susangharper@yahoo.com

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very interested in the history of OIT and I would like to know if there are any documents on display in the library or elsewhere that might relate to the late 1940's and early 1950's. My father, George A. Harper was an instructor there in the 1950's and he was tragically killed in 1959. I am currently a teacher out of Orgeon, yet I was raised in Oregon. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might search for information about the Institute's history?
Thanks,
Susan Harper

susangharper@yahoo.com

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home