Friday, June 16, 2006

Two down, one to go

Well, we’ve completed two commencement exercises and we have tomorrow’s graduation in Klamath Falls. Tomorrow 302 graduates will walk to receive their degrees. The day also marks our first Master of Science candidates in Manufacturing Engineering Technology and our first graduates in Respiratory Care. I’m posting a couple of pictures from last week’s events.

The little girls are the daughters of Boeing graduate Stephen Stramer. They were so excited about their father’s achievement. Boeing’s graduation was held in Seattle.

The Portland Operations graduate I’m pictured with was caught in Portland traffic and didn’t make the graduation ceremony June 9. His name is Isaac Obune and he graduated in information technology. Isaac was a transfer student and entered OIT in 2003.

EvilZues posed some interesting questions in regard to my last post. First, I’m not sure what cement barricades and rocks are being referenced. The cost of the Center for Health Professions is $22.5 million. The estimated return value to the community in the first year is $31 million. The needs of students are always our priority. The reference to cutting programs is puzzling to me. No programs are being cut.

If EvilZues would like to schedule an appointment to clarify these points, I would welcome that opportunity.

Talk to you again next week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In regards to the lack of comments you're receiving:

I would tend to think (and this is from my personal experience) that you're not getting a lot of feedback due to the fact that the average student at OIT is not necessarily wired into what is going on outside of what happens in their individual classroom time unless he/she is involved in some sort of ASOIT or similar position where exposure to such programs is going to happen.

I honestly had no idea about the CHP, or any of the other programs that you have really been talking about. I don't read the Edge that often, and most of my day is eaten up by lecture, lab, a new marriage, my enlistment in the Army, and running my house. Perhaps a concise rundown of what you find to be key developments across campus would stimulate the kind of feedback that you're interested in. People aren't going to give you feedback unless they come to the site in the first place, and they obviously read what you write if they come here, so give them information about what you want feedback about. I'm sure you'll get it.

Honestly the only thing I'd ever give you feedback on off the top of my head would be things like pencil sharpeners (why do I have to hunt all over campus for one that works anyways?), and that's hardly something to be talking to you about. The issues that I think you want to hear about I don't think are common knowledge on campus.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Palmer said...

Just wanted to say that I thought last week's graduation was the best I've been to since coming to OIT six years ago. There were a lot of speakers but they all did a good job, especially our student speaker, and Martha Ackmann was a pleasant surprise. I also enjoyed the info you shared about some of the individuals in the class of '06.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Palmer said...

Tried to post this comment before but it apparently didn't go through. Just wanted to say that I thought Saturday's commencement in Klamath Falls was the best I've been to since joining OIT six years ago. There were a lot of speakers but they all did a good job, especially our student speaker, and Martha Ackmann was a pleasant surprise. I also enjoyed your stories about some of the individual students in the class of '06.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home